Saturday, June 16, 2007

Obtaining worker's compensation insurance in Nevada

How do I obtain workers’ compensation insurance in Nevada?

Nevada law requires all business owners in the State of Nevada to obtain and maintain workers’ compensation coverage, especially those with one or more employees. There are very few exceptions to this requirement.

Business owners failing to comply with this law face fines up to $10,000, may have their business ordered closed until the insurance has been obtained and be held financially responsible for all costs associated with an employee who sustains a work related injury when the employer has no workers' compensation insurance coverage.

Since January 1, 2000, Nevada no longer provides workers’ compensation through a State fund. However, employers may obtain workers’ compensation insurance from a private insurance company authorized to provide workers’ compensation in Nevada by the Division of Insurance (DOI). If qualified, an employermay be self-insured through an approval process overseen by the DOI. For smaller businesses interested inbecoming self-insured, there are associations of self-insured employers which are groups of employers (generally in the same type of business) which are members of the association. Current listings of approved self-insured associations and self-insured employers may be found on DOIs Web site at

Private insurance carriers may establish competitive rates that are approved by the DOI. If you are looking for new coverage or have not been renewed by your current insurer (your insurer must give you 60 days notice of intent to not renew) you have many options for obtaining the required coverage.

• Your first step may be to contact the agent or broker who handles your other lines of insurance. With over 200 private carriers authorized to write workers’ compensation insurance in Nevada, there is a good chance your broker/agent will be able to provide the coverage required.
• If you are unable to find an insurer ( have been refused coverage by two insurers) willing to
write workers’ compensation for your business, coverage may be secured through the assigned
risk program, i.e., the involuntary or residual market pool. Additional information on this option
may be obtained from your broker/agent.

NOTE: This program is administered by the National Council on Compensation Insurance (NCCI). Coverage can be obtained through a licensed agent or by calling the NCCI toll free at 1-800-NCCI-123 (622-4123). There is a surcharge added to the minimum rate when obtaining coverage through the assigned risk program. If coverage is obtained through this plan, the employer or his agent should continue to contact other licensed carriers to find a lower rate.
There is always a way for an employer to obtain workers’ compensation coverage in
Nevada. Depending on the circumstances, one of the choices described above should fit
the specifics of a particular employer’s situation.

Source: (website).

About Me

My photo
6119 Ridgeview CT #500, Reno, NV 89519, 775-284-8200 or, United States College BS in Business Administration (University of Nevada, Reno) 1987. Independent Farmers Insurance Agent 1987-1997; Part time financial sales positions 1997-1999; Co-founder and President of ClientFlex Corporation 1999-2004; Lucini/Parish Insurance 2004-2005; Co-founded (with Tammy Brunson) Ardent Insurance LLC (2005-2007); Changed entity to Ardent Insurance Inc (2006-present). Insurance Designations: LUTCF. Insurance Affiliations: Big I (Independent Insurance Agents of America); Trusted Choice Approved Agency; Professional Insurance Associates, Inc. (Affiliate); Local Business Associations: Northern Nevada Insurance Agents - Member; Community Associations: Northern Nevada Endurance Training - Active Member.